Saturday, April 12, 2014

Island Bliss

Southernmost point in the US - Mile 0



::Bahamas::

Tuesday morning dawned bright and beautiful.  Sleeping could wait; we had an island to explore; snorkling to experience, and memories to make.

Lindsey and I signed up for an on-shore excursion.  Snorking off rainbow reef.  Best decision.  So much fun.

We hit a couple shops in the morning, waved goodbye to the rest of the group and headed back to meet our guide.  We strolled through the streets, along with 50 other snorkeler newbies, making out way to a double-decker boat - pictured above.  A thirty minute jaunt out of the harbor was beautiful.  Soaking in the sunshine never felt better.  

After gushing on Paradise Island, they weighed and anchor and briefed us on snorkeling.

Atlantis.  The center 'bridge' is the Michael Jackson Suit - rented at $25,000/night with a mandatory stay of four nights. 

Yes.  I held a real-live starfish.  It was every bit as cool as I had ever imagined.



I had never worn a snorkel before.  Not in the pool, not a lake, not ever.  Breathing underwater goes against all my natural inhibitions. 

Quick Story:
The guide demonstrated how to put on the snorkel, fins and all the ins and outs of safe snorkeling.  Then, the gate was opened and the stairs that led to the water were available.  Bottleneck in the extreme.  50+ people tring to fit down a little staircase.  Our guide assessed the situation and called over his megaphone;

"Go ahead and jump over the side, don't wait for the stairs.  Just make sure you hold onto your goggles before you jump... jump over the side, off the railing, anywhere..."

I stood in line with all the rest.  One brave soul jumped ship, and seemed to do just fine.  I glanced back and the guide saw my wondering gaze and said confidently "just jump, hold your goggles and avoid all the traffic."

I smiled and said "Great idea!" Ha.

Slapping my fins against the wall, nearly tripping as I clumsied my way onto the edge I prepared to jump.  'Hold onto my goggles, put my mouthpiece in, hold onto my goggles...'

SPLASH!

I plunged beneath the surface, overjoyed.  While I was still submerged in salty ocean water the thought raced through my mind "I can breathe underwater!  Don't panic, just breathe!"  Bad idea.  I think panicking would have been better.  Snorkels are made to breathe when just your face is laid against the surface, not several feet under...

Spluttering and coughing I spit large amounts of freshly inhaled ocean liquid out of my mouth.  I glanced up and the guide was laughing; throughly enjoying this amusing scene.  

Needless to say, when I jumped again, I didn't breathe while 4 feet underwater. ;P

Bahamas - sipping a real coconut
Purusing through the streets on our way back to ship, Ruth and I passed a lady and gentleman sipping out of a great big green coconut.  I had a cool, fresh coconut while in Honduras last spring and absolutely LOVED it.  I asked the lady and she pointed to a man who sold them.

I saw Ruth's eyes light up and she knew I had a special place in my tastebuds for coconut water.  But we walked past with the excuse "we have to get back to the boat..."

We turned around.  

It's not everyday you walk through an island with the opportunity to sip coconut water and then dig out the coconut flesh.  Yummy-yum-yum.


Coco Key - Loving the sunshine.
::Coco Key - Cruiseline private island::

Not many pictures from this excursion.  Too busy splashing in the water, snorkling off-shore, soaking sun, chatting with friends, eating yummy beachy bbq... you get the idea.

Most of us remembered this day for quite some time.  Rubbing aloe vera gel on sunburn helped to smear the memories. :)

Picture compliments of Allison Turner (a lovely friend I met on the cruise)
Thanks, Allison!



Key West - 1 pound cookie
Think of you, Bethany!  We missed you every.single.day! <3

::Key West::

Quite possibly on of my favorite stops.

Lovely shops town.  We disembarked in the morning and just meandered through the streets.  Overhanging palm trees, old houses, gorgeous flowers, summer clothes... and the best Key Lime pie I've ever tasted.  Seriously wonderful explosion of lime, tart and a bit of sweet.  Key West was to me like a slice of pure key lime bliss!

Silly cruisers

"Wonderful memories" fails to capture my time on board this boat.  It was more than sunshine and yummy food.  More than cool islands and constant room service.  More than dressing up or wearing a swimsuit.

The companionship of friends was what made the tip for me.

Rich conversations, laughter and spurring one another one to love and pursue Jesus.


The spot you only dream of relaxing

"The Lord lives!  Praise be to my Rock!  
Exalted be God my Savior!
...I will praise You among the nations, O LORD; 
I will sing praises to your name."
Psalm 18:46,49


2 comments:

  1. Oh my, how much fun! I'm sure the snorkeling was just beautiful - if the starfish is any proof. :) Enjoy the rest of your vacation and keep us updated!

    Analiese U.

    ReplyDelete
  2. AH!

    Oh, the memories... such a blessed trip.

    Your snorkeling story is so great, Anna. :)

    Also, you are more than welcome for the photo! Hannah sent it to me, so we'll say it's a "collab-ed" photo. ;)

    Overall, loved your post. Such fun we all had! Thankful for all the memories that'll last a lifetime!
    Smiles!
    Alison

    ReplyDelete