Friday, February 7, 2014

A Promised Post - and something new

Finally!  The post I promised to you several months ago.  Here it is - the first of many.... oh yes!  I was stuck in traffic and hit upon a crazy idea.  I'll call my new blog series #singlegirlprobs. {yes, it's a hashtag, but it makes me laugh.}  Get ready for candid, honest, deep, light, funny, serious and completely random musings of a single girl who has more than a handful of single girl problems, but instead of viewing them as a step backwards, I think of it more as the beginnings of "Cha-cha!".  

-------------

Post #1

Note: thank you so much to each of you who commented on my previous post. Scedule, routine, huh? I so appreciate hearing from you. and my apologies for the lateness of this post.

First things first: life really isn't about me, my dreams or my wants.  It's about Jesus.

Second thing to note: I'm a work in progress and don't have it all figured out. at all.  Please comment your thoughts whether in agreement or controversy.  I'm still in the middle of this.  My thoughts stem from my reality.

I lay in bed at night and wonder.  If you were to pop open my journal you would find the question - What to do? - written over and over.  Re-phrased in many different ways.  Sometimes there are tearstains that accompany my scribbles as I would pour out my heart to Jesus.

I have dreams.  Big dreams.  And I felt stuck.  Stuck because there are millions of ministries out there that are good and worthy of getting involved in - howintheworld do I choose?"  Stuck because I wanted to start my own ministry.  Drowning because I had so many dreams.  Overwhelmed because I felt nothing I did could ever make a difference in the world.  Stressed because I felt my days slipping away and I wasn't out there doing huge things.  Confused because I wanted God to write me a letter and leave it sitting on my shelf.

Than I read this;
"Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Chrsit Jesus." 1 Thess 5:16-18
And this;
"But seek ye first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added unto you."  Matt 6:33 (NKJV)

Matthew 6:33 is written just after Jesus addresses the aspect of worry.  Worrying about life, clothes, money, food, etc.  Interesting.

Was it possible I was complicating the illustrious 'will of God?'  Viewing it as in end in itself.  Thinking that my dreams were the fullfilment of my life, the purpose of my existance?  I was focused on the end result and totally forgot about everything else in between.

Am I pursuing Jesus, or am I busy chasing dreams?  When I say pursuing I mean a daily relationship with God.  Seeking Him on my face, praying fervently, coming before Him with a grateful heart.  Practicing His presence throughout the day, striving to capture every thought, word and action in accordance with Himself.  Only then do I truly begin to live.

My life isn't going to be the same as Jackie Pullinger, Amy Carmichael, Katie Davis, my sister or any of my friends.  I may be single for the rest of my life, or be married within the year.  The dreams I wrote about last week might be reality in two years or may be changed to look totally different.

But life is made up of little moments.  It's tough to know what to do, but we don't have to know the end.  And we already know today - Today I must choose Jesus.  Today I must seek God.  He is faithful to guide - day by day, hour by hour.
"What is the secret to great living?  Entire separation to Christ and devotion to Him.  Thus speaks every man and woman whose life has made more than a passing flicker in the spiritual realm.  It is the life that has no time for trifling that counts."                           - Amy Carmichael
I'm in the middle of this.  Just like you.  Desparately asking God to reveal Himself to me.  To show my in practical ways how to "live a life worthy of the calling I've received."
"But not one of us is "called" to live the self-indulgent, pleasure-seeking, comfort-craving life of the tyrpical American Christian.  If you think that God has called you to merely live in a nice house with a well-paying job and be part of a Bible study group, then you aren't very familiar with what His Word says.  It not that any of [above stated activites] is wrong.  But those things are not the essence of the Christitan life."                 - Leslie Ludy
These are my thoughts.  I'd love to hear yours?  Stay tuned for specific ways they play out in my daily moments of happiness/heartache.

Have a lovely weekend!



3 comments:

  1. Anna,

    I agree with what you said. I also have lots of big dreams but I'm not sure if/what God wants me to do with them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I look forward to more follow-up on this. In the beginning of my 40s I'm finally seeing all the things in life that I desired/did/prepared for coming together. I see the truth in the saying "life begins at 40" though, of course that's not ALL true. It's not like I spent my whole life just passively WAITING for where I am now. And it's not like where I am now means I've "arrived". I've been to university/college. I've worked. I've failed. MANY times. Some where I can feel stupid, and some where I just ask God how I got there. Did He REALLY lead me there, or was I just following something/someone else? But it's all made me the woman I am today. As did my marriage; brief as it was. Keep on searching, asking, praying, practicing the presence of God. And I'll keep on learning from you, and I hope you'll learn from me

    ReplyDelete
  3. good thoughts! looking forward to seeing what else you having coming!

    ReplyDelete