Monday, February 10, 2014

Valentines Day Preview

Valentines Day - #singlegirlprobs on overload.

The day where suddenly red and pink are a chosen and approved combo.
The day single people become very aware of their single state.
The day relationships are exalted, envied and enjoyed.

Some say it's an over-commercialized holiday that forces tangible gift-giving.  But really, who doesn't mind some extra chocolate, a dozen roses and a few diamonds thrown your way?  You won't hear me complain.

They say over 1 billion dollars worth of chocolate is purcha$ed over Valentines Day.  I'm not sure how much of that is given as gifts, or consumed for consolation.

-------

I've read articles for singles on Valentines Day.  Good ones and bad ones.  Most often they try to console the single girl and help her cope with the devastation of being alone.  Some focus on the love of God.  How we don't need a boyfriend because we have Jesus.  And He is better than all the best boys in the world.  True.  Very true, and I don't want to undermine that at all...  But somehow it isn't the same.

Honestly, a boyfriend holds your hand.  A boyfriend sends you sweet texts.  A boyfriend listens to your day and makes appropriate comments.  A boyfriend makes you laugh, tells you you're beautiful, gives you chocolate and diamonds and takes you out to dinner at a nice restaurant.  A boyfriend gives you a reason to look forward to Valentines Day.

A single girl is void of everything mentioned above.

Sitting alone in mismatching fuzzy socks, texting other single friends, watching chick-fliks, eating a gallon of ice cream, all the while filling a wastebasket with tissues, may be what some do on this alleged "singles awareness day" but not me.  Nope. I've got a better idea.

This is my idea - Stop thinking about me and my aloneness.

How does this play out?  I've got plans.  And they just might include flour, icing and some happy heart sprinkles. holding hands. and talking. and flowers.  and smiles. and laughing. and maybe not the diamonds... but I sure can't wait for V-day!

Stay tuned


and here's something just to make you laugh.


4 comments:

  1. Ha! Perfect, I love it!! You're so right!! I love Valentines Day, but some people have a way of making you feel like if you don't have anyone this Valentines Day, there may not be better luck next time!!!! Thanks for your perspective!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crazy people. Haha! Thanks, Karissa, for commenting! I love to hear from other singles (I'm taking a wild assumption?!?) like yourself. Let your voice be heard a little more often. ;)

      And I just popped over to your gluten-free blog. Fun, fun! I just might have to avail myself of some of your recipes!

      Delete
  2. LOVE your attitude! This is my first married Valentine's Day, but for so many years it was such a hard day for me....and I think you hit the nail on the head. It's not that I wasn't committed to my faith or had reached a content state with my singleness, it's the missing out on the little things like the hand holding, cuddling, etc. that just make you feel special. Hope tomorrow is an amazing day for you - wish I could jump in on whatever you are cooking :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your comments! I do truly love to hear from others. Different perspectives are so fun to hear and think about. And yes! I'm not sure where you hail from, but if you ever come through Omaha we can have another baking day ;)

      Delete