Thursday, November 7, 2013

German Pancake

Can it be breakfast already?

Seriously, this is my favorite breakfast of all time. I looked skeptically at it the first time I tried it... but never again. Simple and delicious, smoothered with homemade caramel sauce and yogurt.

I fell in love with breakfast when I started eating Ruth's breakfast feasts. I remember spending a week with her family and politely declining the ample portions of yogurt and baked oatmeal that everyone seemed to be lusciously enjoying (mistake #1). I thought I could survive without breakfast for a week (mistake #2). After the 2nd day of cold cereal the smells overtook my mind and in order not appear a "picky eater" I took the plunge - homemade yogurt on the pancakes.

Done. Yogurt was my best friend, my delicious compaion. I realized then that breakfast did indeed deserve the #1 meal slot of the day.
Then Ruth made German Pancake - where had I been living all my life?

If taste buds could flutter, mine did.

The ingrediants are starkly simple;
eggs
flour
milk

The results are astoundingly delicious.



German Pancake
1 cup milk
1 cup flour
6 eggs
dash of salt
sprinkle of vanilla - optional


Preheat oven to 400˚.
Place 1/4-1/2 stick butter in 9x13 pan and place in preheating oven.
In Vitamix (or other blender) blend milk, eggs and flour well - 30 seconds or so.

Slide the melted butter around in the pan so it covers the bottom of the pan.
Once preheated pour the blended mixture into the hot pan.

Bake for 20 minutes or until golden
note: the sides of the batter slide up the walls of the pan creating a one-of-a-kind effect

Top with yogurt, caramel sauce, syrup, powdered sugar or anthing your taste buds crave
{my personal favorite: homemade caramel sauce and homemade plain yogurt}



Grab your fork and enjoy! Breakfast is about to become your favorite meal of the day.


Photo credits: Bethany Beasley head on over to her blog to check out Esther's Sunshine Rolls

Yah, I cheated and didn't really make this recipe today, but Bethany did. She snapped these beautiful photos for me. But I promise you, I've made this breakfast waaayyy more times than I can count.

6 comments:

  1. Wow! This looks {and sounds} incredible! Thanks for sharing, Anna! Just within the amount of time I've followed the Wissmann's, I can tell Ruth is an awesome cook. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also, Anna, I had a few quick questions for you!

      1. Is it possible to make this if you don't have a blender. We have a hand-mixer, but that's it.

      and, 2. If you're only feeding a few people, is it possible to halve the recipe?

      Delete
    2. Alison! Yes, I think it's very possible to make this with a blender. Let me know how it goes. Just mix it till all the ingrediants are well combined and the mixture is slightly foaming.

      And yes again! I've double, halved, tripled and done all manner of variations. I normally make this batch (6 eggs) for myself, 2 brothers and my sister/mom. So although it fills up a 9x13 it is fairly thin. You can do it in a smaller pan if you want a thicker slice. When I do 1 1/2 times a batch I still put it in a 9x13 pan.

      But that was probably a longer answer than you were wanting... did I get your questions answered?

      Thanks for commenting! {be sure to participate in my Recent Reading post. grab the nearest book and show some love *smile*}

      Delete
    3. Anna! Yes, you answered my questions! Thanks! :)

      Also, I'll be sure to do so. Love this fun blogging venture with both you and Bethany. :)

      Delete
  2. Yum Yum! How do you make your homemade carmel sauce?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmm. That sure looks good. Thanks for sharing the recipe!

    Rebecca K.

    ReplyDelete