Saturday, November 9, 2013

Recent Reading

Books - just the sound of that word makes me happy.
{Be sure you take note of your input at the end of this post!}

Rewind a couple years and you wouln't have found me without a book under my arm or in my purse, or on my lap. Unfortunantly my schedule doesn't leave room for a ton of book reading time... but I sneak it in when I can.

My books don't get finished as fast as they used to either, but there isn't much I love more than curling up with a good book {Bethany is always giving me fabulous title to read. so raid her shelf for some good titles}. So if you were to pop into my world and find me under my soft blanket with a cup of hot cocoa here are the titles you'd see in my hand...


Will Our Generation Speak {on chapter 13!}
by Grace Mally


Challenging. Insightful. Truthful.

You'll get my full review {check out my Write-up Wednesday series} when I complete the book. But don't wait for me. Read it yourself.

I have enjoyed every.single.chapter.

Not only does it rouse my heart and give a vision for sharing the gospel, but it also gives practical tips to begin conversations, combat fear and be diligent, confident witnesses for Jesus Christ.


The Shining Company
by Rosemary Sutcliff
{on chapter 12}

Author of The Outcast and The Eagle of the Ninth, both of I which I thoroughly enjoyed. 



More of a stimulating "fluff" read, this book is set back in the days where men wore armor and carried swords while traveling to and fro throughout the kingdom perfoming valient deeds. Women were beautiful with long hair, oftentime braided, and were either expert swordsmen themselves, or the lovely princess-like character that spurred their knights on to greatness.


However, Ms. Sutcliff doesn't stick to the normal trends of typical renissance style books, but branches out with tales that keep you reading.  Prosper and his faithful companion Conn set off the join the king in conquest to defeat the everapproaching enemy. Old-english style writing, unique plots and heartwarming devotion prevail. {read more in my Write-up when I complete this book}


My Current To Read List - What's on yours?


  • Wild Goose Chase by Mark Batterson {author of In A Pit With a Lion on a Snowy Day}
  • Hudson Taylor's Spiritual Secret
  • The Help {jury is still out on this one, but I've heard good things...}
  • Clemintine {Emily: "I laughed the whole way through" - youth read. 
  • Born to Run {my brothers talk about the stories and advice in this one}




Now it's your turn... 
Grab the closet book, your recent read, any book you'd like AND;
turn to page 32, paragraph 3. Copy the second sentence in the comments.

Leave a little love and we'll see what kind of information/instruction/humor/plain-random-and-pointless is found.

3 comments:

  1. "Think about it."
    - from 'When God Weeps' by Joni Eareckson Tada, which is in my to read stack. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. "If the "gravest question" before us really is what God Himself is like, how do we learn to know Him?"
    From "Crazy Love" by Francis Chan

    -Esther Beasley

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Jesus sends us out to stand on God's promises and retreat with Him when we're discouraged--but then go back out again."

    From "In the Shelter of God's Promises" by Sheila Walsh.

    ReplyDelete