Monday, November 18, 2013

Mother

Teacher, cook, maid, referee, taxi driver, housekeeper, counselor, songwriter, disciplinarian, nurse, confidant, cheerleader, physical therepist, coach, grandma, teammate... and my Mother.

A simple title with a magnitude of responsibilty and influence, being a mother is something I highly respect and don't understand.

Constantly dying to self.  Perpetually caring for those who rarely realize, let alone appreciate, what you do.  Conforming your body, schedule, needs, wants and desires to little individuals who will bring hurt, pain and confusion to your life. {and of course joy}

My mother has been my constant fan, always encouraging me to seek the Lord and pursue His purposes.  I know when I have an idea or scatterbrain plan she isn't going to laugh.  She will hear me out, listen, give cousel and keep loving.  When I fail and fall on my face, she is there with a hug, kind word, or a listening ear.  When I succeed she is there in the front row beaming, praising the Lord and inspiring me.

In a child's life, from my personal experience, a Mother has the power to;

inspire greatness or diminish potential
speak life or bring defeat
promote uniqueness or foster insecurity 
awaken confidence or generate timidity
cherish vulnerability or close a heart
transform weakness or supress strength

Ever since I was little my mother took her relationship with God seriously.  Prayer and Bible reading were the beginning of every day.  She lives out God's word.  There is no one who has influenced my life in a more positive way than she.

Mother or sister, daughter or friend - never underestimate the power of influence.

Mom, 
I don't even pretend to understand the sacrifice, 
but from the bottom of my heart; 
Thank You.
Your little girl. 
xoxo



"A wife of noble character who can find? 
She is worth far more than rubies. 
Her children arise and call her blessed...
a woman who fears the Lord is to be praise." 
Proverbs 31:1, 28, 30b"


--------------------------------------------

I'm working on a pretty lengthy writing project and I thought this excerpt is appropriate to share.


"I was little. My imagination was in full swing. Brilliant plans were being made inside my 10 year-old mind. The sky was the limit for my blazing dreamst. I was going to be a famous writer! And my brililant career was going to begin with my first book: Emily and Her Animals.

Yep. True story. Descriptions were my specialty and several chapters in my developing series were devoted to Emily's farmhouse interior. I even had my friend draw pictures to illustrate my eloquent attention to detail. It sounds so silly, so girlish and immature. But when I showed them to my mother, she didn’t frown. She read them, commented on them and took me seriously. Inwardly she may have been laughing, but those thoughts of amusement were kept from my notice. I only saw the joy and pleasure.

“Anna, these are so fun. God has given you a gift for writing.” She smiled affirmatively.

I glowed. My confidence was boosted and my dreams soared. 

Soon, school, friends and different pursuits halted my early publish of the Emily Series, but those uplifting words from my mother were not so easily forgotten. I would think about them with every English paper I wrote, and they would play back as I scribbled out book reports for school.  Emily was disregarded, but dreams of writing were kept safe.

My mother has lived a valuable example to me in regards to inspiring others. When little ones, or not so little people, come with their dreams and excitement it is so easy to laugh, bash or undermine their goals. The prospect of a 10 year-old author isn’t reality, but a naive heart is wide open to both words of life, and words destruction.

“Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouth at all, but only what is helpful for building others up, that it may benefit those who listen.” Ephesians


No comments:

Post a Comment